The School was founded in 1994. It only teaches English.
The students are divided approximately 70% children and teens, and 30% adults. The levels range from pre-reading/writing children to proficiency (CPE) adult classes. The pre reading young learners are usually taught by two specialist teachers in VYL.
The school has six well-equipped classrooms with internet access, laptop, flatscreen; two with interactive whiteboards. We have a set of notebook computers for student use in class. There is an extensive, growing library of resources, supplementary material, and student graded readers.
English is not just another school subject but a tool for communicating with.
- We want our pupils to learn English in an effective, fun and engaging way.
- We want our students to really communicate in English with fluency, accuracy and good pronunciation.
- We work on all language skills but most importantly we encourage our students to communicate confidently and independently.
- We encourage school-aged students to make links with English from school and put their English into action.
Consequently teaching at The School is as practical as possible, function-led not grammar-led.
We take into consideration, where possible individual learning styles and needs.
These pupils usually follow a textbook which provides a structure and direction. It is used in a flexible way along with supplementary material.
Pupils are continually assessed through their work in class and in termly written and oral tests.
It informs planning, allowing pupils to learn as effectively as possible, according to their ability.
It motivates pupils as they become aware of their progress.
It’s one step in helping them become more autonomous learners.
The success and smooth-running of the school, and subsequently pupils’ learning is based on mutual respect inside and outside of the classroom.
Teachers, administration, parents and pupils all need to collaborate for our students learning experience to be as effective and pleasurable as possible.
These groups tend to do termly take-home exams making the most of their time in the classroom to work on oral skills.
Adults are assessed according to the CAN-DO statements provided by the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) in line with the Common European Framework, a set of performance related scales divided into 3 areas: Social &Tourism, Work and Study, reflecting adults interests and 6 levels, A1,2, B1,2, C1,2
This system has proved easy to use and provided new insights:
- teachers have felt more supported.
- prep is reduced as it has highlighted areas to work on. In addition it facilitates sharing prep as common ground between different pupils is more recognisable.
- eternally upper intermediate or other long-standing pupils have gained a new sense of direction.
- teachers have a platform to investigate pupils' perception of themselves.
- both pupils and teachers can see/ negotiate the starting point and hence later measure their progress, upping learner autonomy, sense of ownership and everyone's feelgood factor.
We are always looking for ways to improve.
Contracts are for 9 months, October to the end of the course in June, with paid induction. Summer work is available.
SALARIES 2011- 12 20 hours teaching 1275 € gross/month (around 1170€ net), 1402 € gross/month for 22 hours teaching.
Depending on the teacher’s personal situation, teachers initially pay 2% tax for the first three months, which can then go up to 8%. The equivalent of British “National insurance” contributions are around 6%. Outside of preparation and class time teachers are expected to attend a weekly meeting: an opportunity for teacher training/idea sharing/administration and respond to other needs.*Liasing with the DOS to relate information to parents in tutorials, preparing assessment processes, correcting, writing termly reports, keeping minimal class records.
Morning classes (8:00 – 9:00 am) are available off site. These classes are paid separately at 30 €/hour.
Teachers receive holiday pay as stipulated in the Teachers’ Agreement (convenio) with a minimum of 14 days approximately which is paid at the end of June. They are also given approximately two weeks paid holiday at Christmas, 1 week at Easter, and all official local, regional and national holidays.
Teachers are expected to teach most ages/ levels. Where possible teachers’ preferences/ specialised fields are taken into consideration. Classes come twice a week, for an hour/ 75mins usually in the afternoon, between 3:45pm and 9:00pm. Fridays, classes finish by 7pm.
Each class has a textbook (with the exception of some adult groups) which provides a springboard and direction whilst allowing the teacher to be responsive to their pupils' needs. There is some Cambridge examination preparation.
4. STAFF SUPPORT
Teachers are encouraged to develop professionally. Besides regular in-house workshops teachers attend the annual TESOL conference and other external seminars where possible. Timetables permitting we also encourage peer observation.
5. HEALTH INSURANCE
Teachers are provided with general coverage through the Spanish National Health scheme. The School also provides private coverage for work-related illness.
Minimum requirements: evidence of a good level of education, such as a degree, and a recognised EFL qualification such as the RSA Certificate (CELTA), Young learner's certificate or other relevant teaching qualification
- We normally only offer positions to EU citizens/ permit holders.
- Previous teaching experience is essential.
- Above all else we value personal qualities. Teachers should be caring, friendly, flexible and good-humoured.
- A desire to develop professionally, a willingness to share ideas with colleagues, benefit from feedback and show learner sensitivity are also fundamental.
- The school in turn is supportive and understanding, providing good conditions in an enjoyable working atmosphere.
- Knowledge of Spanish culture and language; useful but not essential.
Childrens & adults teachers required.
The School will be at the annual TEFL Jobs Fair in Cordoba on 18th May, 2013. You can visit us at stand 11.
e-mail CV and recent photo to email@example.com