ENGLISH STREET ESCUELA DE INGLÉS
English Street Escuela de Inglés is a small but professional school which opened in Palma Del Rio in 2012. It has grown steadily since opening, thanks to the hard work and professional service offered by staff members year in year out. We are a member of ACEIA and FECEI, a mark of our professionalism in terms of how we treat both our students and our workers.
We provide courses for both adults and young learners, although the vast majority of our lessons are with children aged 3-15 years old. Most courses are general English yet some involve exam preparation for Trinity GESE and ISE, and Cambridge PET and FCE. We also follow the Jolly Phonics programme for children aged 5-8.
The school is in a central location, near to shops and cafés, and teachers can easily walk to work if they live in Palma. Currently, there are 3 classrooms and we will be expanding the school this summer to include a fourth. Each teacher has their own classroom, equipped with a laptop and projector, wifi and air con/heating. They have access to a colour photocopier/printer/scanner, a range of extra resources such as realia, photocopiable resource books and A&C materials. Each teacher also has their own set of keys to the school so that they can prepare their lessons whenever suits them best.
Our team is made up of 3 teachers (soon to be 4), the school secretary and the Director of Studies. We offer a friendly and supportive environment and opportunities for further professional development.
JOB DETAILS AT A GLANCE:
- Days: Monday to Friday
- Contract hours: 25 per week
- Contract duration: Sep. 16th 2019 – June 15th 2020
- Paid holidays: 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week at Easter, all local and national holidays
- Age groups: 3-15 year olds and possibly 1 group of adults
- Levels: Beginner to intermediate (<A1 – B1 CEFR)
- Class size: 4-10 students per class
- Exams prepared: Trinity GESE and ISE, Cambridge PET and FCE
- Location: our centre in Palma del Río (Córdoba)
IN MORE DETAIL:
As one of our teachers, you will be in charge of 11 classes (4 -10 students per class). Each class follows a textbook, which will provide you with the contents and resources you need to prepare your lessons. Most of your students are pre-school or primary aged children, with some teenaged classes. You will receive support undertaking your new responsibilities as a teacher.
– Familiarise yourself with the language level of your students and set appropriate learning goals
– Prepare and deliver lessons which lead to the achievement of these learning goals
– Monitor student progress and keep records of assessment
– Keep a record of student attendance
– For students aged 11 years +, set and correct homework once a week
– For lower primary classes, incorporate our Jolly Phonics reading programme into lessons frequently and systematically
– For exam preparation classes, ensure the exam syllabus is fully covered and practised
– Attend training workshops and actively participate in your development as a teacher e.g. consult us about doubts you have, experiment with new ways to resolve problems and take note of how successful they have been and why (not), share what you have learned with your fellow teachers.
We employ a communicative methodology, yet traditional grammar explanations will also form part of teenagers’ and adults’ lessons, so a firm grasp of how to teach grammar explicitly will also be necessary. We highly value dynamic teachers who are able to combine effective language teaching with engaging and fun activities whilst developing a positive rapport with their students.
Our teachers are given a textbook and teacher’s book for each course they teach and they have access to extra resources like flashcards, realia, toys and games, photocopiable resource books, photocopiers, printers and arts and crafts materials. Each teacher has their own classroom with PC, speakers and projector, and has 24 hour access to the building.
Classes are held from 4pm onwards, Monday to Friday – NO weekends. The contract involves a maximum of 23 teaching hours a week. There will also be 2 hours of weekly training sessions/meetings every Tuesday morning and Friday afternoon to ensure high standards and the smooth running of the school.
All new teachers will receive lesson observations and other ongoing support to help them achieve success in their role, and there will also be the opportunity for external training, should the teacher wish.
The school is located in a pretty, little town around an hour’s drive from Cordoba. It’s very authentically Andalusian so, if you’re looking to make Spanish friends and improve your Spanish, Palma Del Rio is a good place to be. In contrast, if you’re looking for a large expat community, this is probably not the place for you. You can expect to live quite cheaply here (by Spanish standards) and public transport takes you to Cordoba, Seville, Jaen and Cadiz should you wish to spend some time in a larger place at the weekend.
1) Undergraduate degree in any subject, but those in Education, foreign language(s), English, Linguistics or Childhood Studies are viewed favourably
2) Cambridge CELTA or equivalent
3) Cambridge CPE if applicant is not a native speaker of English
4) Eligibility to work in Spain (passport holders of any EU member country are eligible)
5) ICPC certificate and clear CRB check
We are currently recruiting for 2 teachers on a 25 hour/week contract.