Social Security

Once you have been issued with a national identity number (NIE), you can register for a Social Security Number with the Department of Social Security. This is a comparatively simple process.

Step 1You visit the Department of Social Security Offices and ask to register in Regimen General (routine application).

Step 2You will be asked to complete a form and to provide some or all of the following documentation:

    • Your passport
    • Copies of your passport
    • Copy of the certificate stating that you have been added to the Register of Foreign Nationals (Registro Central de Extranjeros)

Step 3You will be issued with a Social Security Number.

Useful Websites