TEFL Qualifications: Trinity TESOL
- Inclusive: CertTESOL courses are open to speakers of English as a first or second language, and are suitable for those wanting to teach any age group
- Accessible: CertTESOL courses are available at over 100 organisations around the world, with full and part-time study options
- Contemporary: a qualification which reflects modern-day approaches to teaching theory and practice
- Learner-focused: with a unit on learning a foreign language to experience what it is like to be a language learner
- Reflective: trainees develop self-evaluation techniques and record progress throughout the course
The Trinity CertTESOL is designed for those with little or no experience of teaching ESOL. It is available to people of all professional backgrounds who are attracted to the English teaching profession, either as a long-term career or for a shorter period to help them travel the world and experiencelife in different cultures.
The minimum age to join a CertTESOL course is 18. Trainees should hold qualifications for entry to higher education, and also have competence in written and spoken English appropriate to a teacher of English.
Each course runs for a minimum of 130 hours. Every trainee attends on a full or part-time basis and completes all the units. The programme consists of five units:
- Unit 1: Teaching skills
- Unit 2: Language awareness (grammar and phonology)
- Unit 3: The learner profile
- Unit 4: The materials assignment
- Unit 5: The unknown language
All trainees complete at least six hours of observed and assessed teaching practice with genuine learners, and produce a number of reflective written assignments. All courses are visited at the end by a Trinity moderator. The moderator talks to all trainees in groups and then individually in an interview, and samples trainees’ written work.