IH San Sebastian, which locally is simply known as LACUNZA, is looking for effective and highly motivated teachers who will show a genuine interest in the company’s clients both inside and outside the classroom. We expect them to be flexible and to participate enthusiastically in all our company’s varied activities.
We will give ample support to enable teachers to perform at the required standard, as well as provide multiple opportunities for professional development in the form of the various courses, seminars and workshops which are held throughout the year. Lacunza – International House is a recognised centre for the University of Cambridge Examinations and is also a founder member of EAQUALS, the European Association for Quality Language Services.
Eleven different buildings, each with its own staffroom fully equipped with the necessary teaching resources. The classrooms are all equipped with whiteboards and cassette players. Teachers share additional equipment, such as a video and OH projectors. There are Internet facilities located in the buildings.
Business classes and classes in local schools.
- General English Courses for Adults
- General English Courses for Juniors
- General English Courses for Children
- Exam Preparation Courses
- English Executive Courses
- English Contract Courses off premises
- Telephone English Courses
- French for Adults, Younger Learners and Business
- Travel abroad
- Teacher training
- Lacunza Summer Camp
We place a great deal of importance on in-service development. After working a year at the school, it is possible to do the DELTA Distance Training Course, and the school provides 90% funding for this, subject to conditions. There is a lot of experience on the school’s teaching staff which include a Director of Education, Building Directors, two Young Learners co-ordinators, Teacher Trainers, a Business Department Director, and published course book writers.
The school provides help in finding accommodation through a contact we have in a local agency. There is a set fee of 120€ per person for this service. The school pays a settling-in allowance of 205€.
Initial contracts are for one academic year, i.e. October to the end of May/June. Contracts are renewable by mutual consent. Some work is also available in the summer months.
The standard working week is 27 hours, of which 25 are contact hours. The remaining two hours are actively used for educational and administrative purposes. Teachers may work a six-day consecutive week from Monday to Saturday.
These coincide with dates when the school is closed, i.e. generally two weeks at Christmas and 10 days at Easter plus annual leave entitlement taken in the summer (2.5 days per month worked. i.e. one month for a 12-month contract).
Notes on Contract:
There are increments for DELTA, exam classes and previous experience (non-IH or IH). Spanish classes are provided free and there is the opportunity to take DELE exams.
Minimum requirements for working in LACUNZA – International House of San Sebastian / Irun.
- The Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) with a Pass Mark of “A” or “B” is the minimum requirement for teaching English at all International House Schools. Other EFL/ESL qualifications (BA, MA, DTEFLA or other TEFL certificates) will be an added advantage to prospective applicants, but the CELTA is a requirement in all cases – it is the common methodological base for language teaching at International House Schools. The only exception is where an applicant has updated a “C” pass with a year or more experience and any progress can be verified.
- A University Degree
- A European passport – for legal reasons relating to work permits we are unable to consider applications from non-European passport holders.